SRINIVASAN CHANDRASEKARAN, Ph.D.,
Date of birth: 27th october 1964
Post Doctorate: 2007 to 2009/ University of Naples Federico II, Nalples, Italy
Ph.D (1995 to 1999/ Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi- Specialization in Structural Engineering),
M.Tech (1992 to 1995/ Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi- Specialization in Structural Engineering),
B.E Gold Medalist with distinction (1987 to 1991/ Bharathiyar University, Coimbatore, India- Specialization in Civil Engineering – University Rank Holder)
Areas of Specialization
Offshore compliant structures
Structural Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering
Earthquake resistant analysis and design of Structures
Seismic evaluation and retrofitting of buildings and offshore structures
Risk and Reliability of offshore structures
Structural health monitoring
Design and development of wave energy devices
Health, Safety and environmental management for offshore and petroleum engg
Professor, Dept. of Ocean Engg., Indian Institute of Technology Madras, India since 18-07-2014
Associate Professor, Dept. of Ocean Engg, Indian Institute of Technology Madras, INDIA (from 24-08-2009 to 17-7-2014)
Visiting Fellow MiUR (Ministry of Italian University and Research), Dept of Structural Engg, Univ. of Naples Federico II, Italy (05/2007 to 05/2009)
Teaching, research and sponsored research consultancies (design and development of passive response control of structures using MR dampers and viscous dampers)
Clients: Fipp- Italy, Maurer and Shone, Germany, Reluis Line 7- International project with European Union
Reader (Structural Engg), Dept of Civil Engg, Institute of Technology, BHU, INDIA: since 10-12-2007 to 23-08-2009)
Teaching, research, industrial consultancies, University Engineer (additional charge), University Works Dept, Banaras Hindu University
Clients: Public Works Dept, UP state PWD, UP state bridge Constn Corpn etc
Lecturer, Dept of Civil Engg, Institute of Technology, Banaras Hindu University, INDIA: 08/2002 to 10/2007
Assistant Professor, Rao Tula Ram College of Technical Education, New Delhi: 06/1991 to 01/2000
Chairman, Mess Monitoring and Control Committee, IIT Madras (2010-2016)
Warden, Hostel Management, IIT Madras (2009-2012)
Member, Students’ Disciplinary action Committee, IIT Madras
Member, GATE, 2014-2015, IIT Madras
Member, Institute Safety Committee, IIT Madras
Structural Consultant and Visiting Professor (RP Construction Consultants, New Delhi & Delhi College of Engineering, New Delhi and others: 02/2000 to 06/2002),
Project Engineer (SPB Ltd: 05/1983 to 05/1985; CR Narayana Rao: 06/1985 to 05/1987; K. Chellamuthu & Co, 10/1987 to 02/1991)
Clients: Tamilnadu Newsprint Ltd, Shyam Paper and Boards Ltd, Institute of Road and Transport Technology Erode, Forest College Coimbatore etc.
MiUR Fellow, Ministry of Italian University Research, Govt. of Italy
Member, American Society of Civil Engineers (MASCE)
Member, Int. Society of Offshore and Polar Engineers (MISOPE)
Member, Society of Petroleum Engineering (SPA)
Member, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (MASME)
Life member, Society of Failure Analysis (SFA)
University Rank Holder during Bachelor Program in Civil Engg
Dr. Chandrasekaran has maintained balance between academic and practical experience in the past 25 years. He has interests in structural dynamics and earthquake engineering, nonlinear dynamics of offshore structures under environmental loads, structural health monitoring and control. In the past 25 years, he has obtained experience in nonlinear dynamic analysis of buildings and offshore structures and investigated them for their critical performance behavior under various environmental loadings. He has been an active member in different administrative and technical committees at IIT Madras and Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi. Dr. Chandrasekaran has a combined experience of teaching, research and Industrial consultancy in designing and supervising heavy industrial structures for paper industry and cement industry in Southern India. He has successfully completed many research based industrial consultancy projects resulting in design and development of new design principles/mechanisms as applied to buildings and offshore structures; few of them include i) design and development of damping devices for response control of structures; design and development of wave energy devices; and risk assessment of offshore projects on oil and gas industry.
Post Doctoral Research
Dr. Chandrasekaran is the recipient of Post Doctoral Fellow offered by Ministry of University Research (MIUR), Italy for a period of two years with effect from 15th May 2007. He conducted research jointly with Prof. Giorgio Serino, Dept of Structural Engg, University of Naples Federico II, Naples, Italy. The broad area of his research work focussed on the Development of Nonlinear calculation models for buildings in seismic areas and experimental validation, including developing technologies for seismic isolation and control of structures. The main objective of the fellowship work is to improve the knowledge of some specific aspects of design and functioning of passive and semi-active systems for response control of structures subjected to seismic loads. The activities focus on theoretical and experimental studies including parametric investigations and case studies to update design and verification methods of structural system and devices for control algorithms of structural response. Detailed analytical studies are conducted on performance assessment of multi-storey RC framed buildings under seismic loading using modal pushover analyses procedure. Comprehensive design guidelines are developed for estimating axial force-bending moment yield interaction, moment rotation and moment characteristics for RC frame elements using Euro Code. Advanced studies are also conducted on response behaviour of offshore tension leg platforms under different environmental loadings.
Member, Research Team (ReLUIS)- the project financed by the Italian Department of Civil Protection (DPC) within the Italian Network of Earthquake Engineering Laboratories.
Deputy Coordinator- SAP Project financed by University Grants Commission, India for Analysis, design, rehabilitation and retrofitting of Masonry and RC framed buildings under seismic loads.
Coordinator of research based project funded by Naval Research Board, Govt. of India
Industrial Consultancy and sponsored research
Successfully completed consultancy projects for Changwon University, South Korea, University of Naples Federico II Italy, AERB, L&T, DGNP Mumbai, DGNP Vizag, BGR Energy, Sea6 Energy
Consultancy for Ship Building Centre, Vizag under Director General Naval Projects, Govt. of India
Seismic qualification of bus duct for atomic power station, Kalpakkam, Govt. of India
International coordinator for foreign students from Korea and Italy to carry out research based projects at Dept of Ocean Engg, IIT Madras,
Current areas of Ph.D guidance
Wave energy using indigenously developed mechanical wave energy converters
Dynamic response behaviour of offshore triceratops, Buoyant Leg supported Regasification Platforms- a new concept in deep-water oil exploration
Wireless networking of sensors for structural assessment, monitoring and control of offshore structures
Springing and ringing response of offshore compliant structures
Hydrodynamic performance of offshore structures with perforated cylinders
Risk assessment and Reliability of offshore structures
Coordinator for international cooperation in academic and research activities between IIT Madras and University of Naples Federico II, Italy
Coordinator for international cooperation in academic and research activities between IIT Madras and Changwon National University, South Korea
- Srinivasan Chandrasekaran. 2020. Offshore Semi-Submersible Platform Engineering, CRC Press, Florida, pp. 240, ISBN: 978-0367673307.
- 2020. Design of Marine Risers with Functionally Graded Materials, Woodhead Publishing, Elsevier, pp. 200, ISBN: 978-0128235379.
- Srinivasan Chandrasekaran and R. Nagavinothini. 2020. Offshore compliant platforms: Analysis, Design and Experimental studies, Wiley, U.K, ISBN: 978-1-119-66977-7
- Srinivasan Chandrasekaran. 2019. Advanced steel design of structures. CRC press, Florida, ISBN: 978-036-72-3290-0
- Srinivasan Chandrasekaran. 2019. Structural Health Monitoring with application to offshore structures, World Scientific Publishing Co., Singapore, ISBN: 978-971-12-0108-0
- Srinivasan Chandrasekaran. 2018. Advanced structural analysis with MATLAB, CRC Press, Florida, USA, ISBN: 978-036-70-2645-5.
- Srinivasan Chandrasekaran and Gaurav Srivastava. 2017. Design aids for offshore structures under special environmental loads including fire resistance, Springer, Singapore ISBN 978-981-10-7608-4.
- Srinivasan Chandrasekaran. 2017. Dynamic analysis and design of ocean structures, Springer, 2nd Ed., Singapore. ISBN:978-981-10-6088-5.
- Srinivasan Chandrasekaran and A.K.Jain. 2016. Ocean structures: Construction, Materials and Operations, CRC Press, Florida, ISBN: 978-149-87-9742-9.
- Srinivasan Chandrasekaran. 2016. Health, Safety and Environmental Management in Offshore and Petroleum Engineering, John Wiley & Sons, ISBN: 978-111-92-2184-5
- Srinivasan Chandrasekaran. 2016. Offshore structural engineering: Reliability and Risk Assessment. CRC Press, Florida, ISBN: 978-149-87-6519-0.
- Srinivasan Chandrasekaran. 2015. Dynamic analysis and design of ocean structures. Springer, INDIA, ISBN: 978-813-22-2276-7.
- Srinivasan Chandrasekaran. 2015. Advanced Marine structures, CRC Press, Florida (USA), ISBN 978-149-87-3968-9.
- Srinivasan Chandrasekaran. 2014. Advanced Theory on Offshore Plant FEED Engineering, Changwon National University Press, Republic of South Korea, pp. 237. ISBN:978-899-69-7928-9
- Srinivasan Chandrasekaran and Subrata Kumar Bhattacharyya. 2012. Analysis and Design of Offshore Structures with illustrated examples. Human Resource Development Center for Offshore and Plant Engineering (HOPE Center), Changwon National University Press, Republic of Korea ISBN: 978-899-63-9155-5, pp. 285.
- Srinivasan Chandrasekaran, Luciano Nunzinate, Giorgio Seriino, Federico Caranannate. 2009. Seismic Design Aids for Nonlinear analysis of Reinforced Concrete Structures. CRC Press, Florida (USA), ISBN: 978-143-98-0914-3.
Books Edited and Chapters contributed
- Shukla, SK., Chandrasekaran S., Das, BB., Kolathayar, S (Ed). 2020. Smart Technologies for Sustainable Development, Springer, ISBN: 978-981-15-5000-3.
- Srinivasan Chandrasekaran, N. Madhavi. 2015. Advances in Structural Engineering, V. Matsagar (Ed). Variations of Water Particle Kinematics of Offshore TLPS with Perforated Members: Numerical Investigations, pp. 629-645, DOI: 978-81-322-2190-6_51, © 2015, Springer.
- Srinivasan Chandrasekaran, N. Madhavi, Saravanakumar Sampath. 2015. Advances in Structural Engineering, V. Matsagar (Ed). Force Reduction on Ocean Structures with Perforated Members, pp. 647-661, DOI:978-81-322-2190-6_52, © 2015, Springer.